The CDC recommends having a 14-day supply of food on hand. For those who are already food insecure, this is a near impossibility, and current circumstances add to their strain. Donate to your local food bank or volunteer if you’re healthy and able! There are also volunteer opportunities across the country through Meals on Wheels.
In St. Louis? Here are just a few of the many organizations seeking support in our region. Food banks are currently not accepting prepared food but are seeking nonperishable items. If you are able, financial donations are encouraged over in-kind donations so that food banks can purchase exactly what they need.
- St. Louis Area Foodbank: Resources and volunteers needed.
- St. Patrick Center: Serves those experiencing homelessness. View list of needed items here.
- Operation Food Search: The major distributer of food to area food banks.
- Peter and Paul Community Services: Shelters those experiencing homelessness.
- Local Catholic Charities: In-kind donations of food and supplies needed.