At the Gephardt Institute, we believe engaged citizens foster thriving communities. We base our relationships on a respect for community voice, assets, and partnership, while providing technical assistance and support to community organizations seeking collaboration with Washington University.
Our goal is to develop partnerships that support your objectives, while simultaneously providing educational and research opportunities for students and faculty. We help you to:
- Identify key departments, offices, and contacts at the university and their distinct purposes
- Match your organizational needs with potential academic and student volunteer/intern programs
- Understand the university academic year as it relates to community engagement
- Draw upon best practices in working and communicating with students
We aim to create true partnerships that result in the shared creation of new knowledge and new solutions. Contact us to learn more about how we can work together.
Connect with the WashU Community
- Submit a news announcement: Our weekly e-newsletter reaches over 4,000 students, faculty, staff, and community partners every Thursday during the academic year. Share news and events in the newsletter by submitting announcements online and selecting which week you’d like the announcement to go out.
- Partner on a Community-Engaged Course: We support courses that partner with community, government, and nonprofit organizations across the St. Louis region. Work with WashU faculty and students to address an organizational or community practice question, or to expand your programs, services, or fundraising efforts. Learn more and submit a request for partnership (RFP).
- Request support through K-12 Connections: If you are an educator in a St. Louis area school district, get involved in our K-12 Connections Program. We can connect you with WashU students, faculty, and staff interested in helping you develop customized campus field trips or one-time special events at your school.
- Post opportunities through the United Way’s Volunteer Center: We work with the United Way of Greater St. Louis to share nonprofit volunteer and internship opportunities with the campus community. Create an exclusive page for your organization, and gain access to a local network of volunteers.
Interested to learn more? Contact Stefani Weeden-Smith, Assistant Director for Campus and Community Partnerships.