At the Gephardt Institute, we believe engaged citizens foster thriving communities. We base our relationships on a respect for community voice, assets, and partnership, while providing technical assistance and support to community organizations seeking collaboration with Washington University.
Our goal is to develop partnerships that support your objectives, while simultaneously providing educational and research opportunities for students and faculty. We help you to:
- Identify key departments, offices, and contacts at the university and their distinct purposes
- Match your organizational needs with potential academic and student volunteer/intern programs
- Understand the university academic year as it relates to community engagement
- Draw upon best practices in working and communicating with students
We aim to create true partnerships that result in the shared creation of new knowledge and new solutions. Contact us to learn more about how we can work together.
Connect with the WashU Community
- This Civic Moment: Share your current needs, submit a volunteer or engagement opportunity, schedule a Zoom consultation with staff, and more.
- Submit a news announcement: Our weekly e-newsletter reaches over 4,000 students, faculty, staff, and community partners every Thursday during the academic year. Share volunteer needs and events and select which week you’d like the announcement to go out. You can also submit resources, events, and other opportunities to The Catalyst, a quarterly newsletter that explores partnerships between Washington University and the St. Louis community.
- Post opportunities through the United Way’s Volunteer Center: We work with the United Way of Greater St. Louis to share nonprofit volunteer and internship opportunities with the campus community. Create an exclusive page for your organization, and gain access to a local network of volunteers.
- Learn about our Inaugural Community Advisory Council: Our Community Advisory Council (CAC) consists of volunteer members who live and work in the St. Louis region as part of nonprofit and other community organizations. Members play a pivotal role in guiding the institute’s community engagement plans and strategy.
Interested to learn more? Contact Sonia Sequeira, Assistant Director for Community Engagement.